NEXT Travel Grant
This travel grant is for undergraduate students who have financial need and would like to apply to externships outside of their hometown and the Chicagoland area through the NEXT program. The grant is intended to cover the costs associated with traveling to another city such as airfare or hotel accommodations. Recipients of this grant would receive a $450 stipend.
The Northwestern Externship Program (NEXT) is a one-day shadowing program that offers current Northwestern students the opportunity to accompany alumni on the job in order to learn more about different professional fields. Students spend time observing and often working alongside their alumni hosts in order to gain insight into the practical aspects of potential careers.
Students who participate in the NEXT program will (or will be able to):
- Use online resources to research career paths and/or organizations prior to their externship.
- List three things they can do to prepare for an externship.
- Formulate at least five open-ended questions to ask their alumni during their externship.
- List the typical duties associated with the job of the alumni they shadowed.
- Describe the skills/qualities needed to be successful in the job of the alumni they shadowed.
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing a career in the industry they learned about through shadowing in light of their personal skills, interests, and goals.
For any questions or concerns, please contact:
Assistant Director | Northwestern Career Advancement